Thursday, February 19, 2009

day five: figure drawing

OK, I am torn between deciding whether or not figure drawing ought to count... because it seems a little lazy... and yet, here we are...

So, ok, this week I brought slightly bigger paper, and my box full of colored pencils, which went untouched, and my box of pastels, which made me happy.... although it's been awhile since I played around in that box.

There are colors I now know that I need.

This was a 10 min sketch. The pink was too cool and too grey. I used black as the under drawing, which I love against the craft paper, but was working against me when I added color. You would think I would figure that out right away... but no.

This was another 10 min sketch. Again, the black under drawing was really working against me. I spent the last 5 minutes, wishing I had used sepia to do the basic drawing.

This is a 20 min pose... and FINALLY, I took a stab at working with sepia for the base drawing. Much easier to build against it. I loved playing with the colors. There were more ranges of purple tha I wanted, to play with the lights in the shadow areas.... also, in my head, I was thinking I would go back in and scribble all over the top with black later. 'Cause I'm funny like that. Just ran out of time, and now I'm glad because that would have been a bad idea. Also, the drawing was all loopy and stretched out of shape with itself, which happens. Happens more now because I am so rusty, but.... well, still.

No comments: